8/23/11

Q&A: How long do people normally have viral labyrinthitis vertigo?


Question by PrincessB: How long do people normally have viral labyrinthitis vertigo?
I have had that or the BPPV for the past 6 days. I vomited repeatedly for the first two days. My doctor prescribed me amoxicillin and meclizine...but I am not feeling any better. I still feel dizzy (like the room is spinning around me) and if i try to look at an object, it looks like it is moving; my balance is off, I can now slightly walk around my apartment whereas at the beginning I had to get my husband to help me move around. I have already missed 4 days of work due to this...I can't drive and the medicine is blurring my vision...

Any one else had this problem? What did you do? Please help...


Best answer:

Answer by alicat
They thght I had labrynthitis several yrs ago but it turned out to be something else. I'm amazed you have been out of bed at all! With me it was MS but vertigo is vertigo no matter what is causing it, and it's nasty! I called my particular experience - Vertigo From Hell! I'm sure you feel the same about yours. Your vision problems cld also be caused by the labrynthitis. I have spoken with ppl who had labrynthitis & besides having a very bad week of it, it lasted about 2 wks & then they had the odd moment of dizziness or vertigo for a wk or 2 after. So you're just about nearing the end of it. Oh you cld try taking a B complex with your meclizine. It might make all the difference. My pharamcist told me to do this when I have trouble with vertigo. It certainly can't cause you any harm. I hope this helps. I really do feel for you.



Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

242 - 30 August: Vertigo
labyrinthitis vertigo

Image by Darren W


What Is Vertigo?

Article by Christian Goodman


Vertigo is considered to be a complicated disease. Vertigo means spinning or revolving. This name has been derived from latin.

The people who are affected by vertigo feel that everything around them keeps moving. Even when standing still the person who is affected by vertigo feel that they are moving.

The inner part of the ear is very much important for humans and mammals to maintain the balance while walking and standing, it doesn't mean if it's two legs or four legs. The vestibular factor in the inner ear is considered to be maintaining the balance of the body.

The person who are affected by vertigo will have problem when walking and also standing. The other effects of vertigo is vomiting and nausea.

The major reason for vertigo is considered to be benign paroxysmal position vertigo and vestibular headache. We shall see them here:

Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo:

In labyrinth the crystals of calcium is present. They do not move and these crystals are in fixed position. Labyrinth is situated in the interior part of the ear

What happens here with the affected person is that these crystals gets disturbed and moves to semicircular canals. But the regular location for these crystals is in utricle. Basically, the posterior canal is far more affected to this situation.

When a person have benign paroxysmal positional vertigo the eyes of the person rotate in the direction of the damaged ear. Apart from this dizziness, vertigo, visual defect are also some of the major symptoms.

Canlithiasis means that the fluid in the inner ear of the person gets dislocated. This reveals how severe is the condition

Vertigo itself forms to be a reason here. Vestibular migraine is also the major reason for the cause of vertigo.

Thus, here the main problem is not vertigo it is the migraine. But the person who is affected decides that he is affected by vertigo. The increase of vertigo due to migraine is the real severe fact in this.

A latest research has identified a connection between migraine and vertigo. People who have unidentified vertigo have 2.5 times more chance to succumb to migraine.

More than this, they will also have symptoms of dizziness when having migraine pains. The other minimum causes are vestibular neuritis and meniere's problem.

A person gets short term effect of vertigo when he consumes huge quantity of alcohol.

Kinds of vertigo

Vertigo are considered to be two types. They are identified based on the location it affects in the working of vestibular pathway. Normally, the two different kinds are peripheral and central.

Peripheral pathway:

This is also known as vestibular system. Peripheral type of vertigo is a kind that affects the working of the inner part of the ear.

Benign paroxysmal positional dysfunction is considered to be the regular reason for this kind of vertigo. Superior canal dehiscence syndrome, labyrinths and visual vertigo are considered to be the other reasons.

And also when a person's skull gets injured that may lead to vertigo too. Vertigo is also caused by bacteria that grows due to cold and cough.

Central Vertigo:

Whereas, central vertigo is linked with a neurological system of our body. This occurs due to the damage in the brain and not due to the problem with inner ear.

As this does not involve the interior part of the ear, central vertigo is not as severe as the other kind of vertigo. It may result in loud less speech, not able to speak clearly and irregular movement of eyes are due to central vertigo.

Heavy sweating, not able to walk steady and excessive vomiting are due to the result of vertigo. When vertigo is not given due care with treatment it may lead to irreparable damage to the nervous system of our body.









dizzynomore.com - A tour of the old website of dizzynomore.com Where you can learn how I recovered from my labyrinthitis, vestibular neuritis,vertigo and anxiety
Video Rating: 2 / 5



Orignal From: Q&A: How long do people normally have viral labyrinthitis vertigo?

No comments:

Post a Comment